Pages

Monday, February 14, 2011

The state of things

I took my sewing machine in for a tune-up.  I'm pretty sure it was overdue, it just wasn't as quiet as it used to be, there was a subtle grinding noise around the motor and when I opened it to clean it two weeks ago it was caked in (and I mean c-a-k-e-d) in lint.  That was the first time I'd ever opened it to look down in its depths.  So in the mean time as I wait for it to be tuned I have been pulling out a ton of my fabrics and cutting out patterns for AJ for this summer and cutting out items for possible consignment.  So this pile has gone up and down and up and down for the past few days.  Its the way I brain storm for sewing projects.
It has grown since this picture and is about double in height now.  Some of the fabric in question is some vintage print curtains I thrifted.  I love the agrarian nature of this print and I love looking at the detail.  The fabric is slightly bleached from use but still in great shape (it must have some polyester in it to still be so tough).  I usually put any vintage fabrics I find through the ringer to make sure they are up to repurposing.  They get a good wash in the washer and then a good tumble in the dryer.  Plus, a little confession, I usually pull on them a lot at the thrift store to see if they appear tough.
Isn't it adorable!?  Very Grandma Moses if you ask me.  Well I hope the state of your sewing endeavors are faring well in your neck of the woods! 

1 comment:

  1. AWESOME!! That is very Grandma Mosesy. Sorry about your machine. I have had mine for about 5 years and have never cleaned, tuned it up or oiled it. Dear hubby bought me the Sewing Machine for Real Lazyies. It is self lubricating. Did take it in to get a tune up and cleaning and they laughed and said that the Machine for Lazyies never needs tune ups or cleaning, except where the bobbin is. Wow...my kind of machine. Hubby knows me well. Bet your machine is going to come home nice and rested from her Day Spa treatment. Love today's post. Gives me a little glance into your thought processes. Have finished your b day present will (try to) get it out to you tomorrow. I put in some other stuff that I thought you might could use :) sending lots of love xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome!